Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Thursday's Children - One of the Best Writing Teachers I've Ever Had

The Thursday's Children posts are all about things that inspire us. So I'd like to tell you about my friend Margaret. Margaret Yang is not only an awesome author and part of the writing duo M.H. Mead, she's also an amazing beta reader with insights galore. She's also a phenomenal teacher and she inspires the hell out of me. I've had the pleasure of participating in several of her workshops and I never fail to walk away without a wealth of knowledge and new understanding of my own work.

I don't know how you all feel about writing a synopsis, but I hate them. Dread them. Loathe them. Wish I never had to do it.

Yeah, I think that about covers it.

When I was whining about having to write a synopsis, she reminded me about a blog post she'd written - a synopsis how-to, if you will. And I'd like to share it with you in hopes that Margaret can inspire you, too.

Without further ado, here's the best synopsis help I've ever seen. I hope you find it as useful as I have!

(Note: Blogger seems to be misbehaving and not highlighting the links. But they do work. I put them below to make it a little easier to click on them.)

Synopsis How-To
Margaret's Blog  (lots of awesome reviews of writing books)
M.H. Mead's Website



Don't forget to check out the Blog Hop, and join in, too!


Here's the code to the Linky to put on your own post.

<!-- start LinkyTools script --><script src="http://www.linkytools.com/basic_linky_include.aspx?id=178252" type="text/javascript"></script><!-- end LinkyTools script -->

4 comments:

  1. Great post. Thanks for the tip, Chris! Hope you had a fabulous New Year ;-) Kristina x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome link. Hope the synopsis is coming along!

    Like Margaret says, just try to pick the simplest thread in the story and leave out anything that isn't crucial. It should sound like a really fun and interesting treatment.

    Good luck in 2013! :)

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. I also hate the dreaded synopsis!! The last one I had to write took me a full week of slaving over it like eight to ten hours a day. It almost drove me off the deep end. haha. So, thanks for this!! I made sure to bookmark it and I'll definitely be checking it out next time I have to write a synopsis. :)

    ReplyDelete