Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Thursday's Children - Artistic Inspiration

Today, my inspiration comes in the form of art - specifically Brian and Wendy Froud's art. You might be familiar with their work from movies like Labyrinth, The Dark Crystal and The Empire Strikes Back. Wendy created Yoda - well, the puppet portion of him, anyway. And Brian is responsible for the concept designs for the other two movies. He's also an amazing artist. I feel in love with his work when I was a kid and I first flipped through my Aunt Malita's Faeries book. When I was older, I started collecting his work and I never stopped.

He creates the kind of art I want to fall headlong into and never crawl out of again. Every time I look at one of his paintings or drawings, I see something new, something that was very nearly hidden and jumps out and startles me. When I see his art I feel a sense of wonder and magic. Of possibility and the promise of adventure. In a perfect world, I'd like to recreate those feelings in the stories I tell.

I had the chance to meet Brian and Wendy a few summers ago at a book signing in Traverse City, MI. They very graciously signed all the books and DVDs I'd lugged with me. I thought I'd share some



This picture, Toby and the Gobblins, hangs in my living room!


My collection. Yeah...I actually lugged all this into a bookstore. I was embarrassed, but it was totally worth it.  :D


Don't forget to check out the Blog Hop, and join in, too!


Here's the code for the Linky to put on your own post.

<!-- start LinkyTools script --><script src="http://www.linkytools.com/basic_linky_include.aspx?id=181534" type="text/javascript"></script><!-- end LinkyTools script -->

8 comments:

  1. He was one of my faves growing up too! You can definitely see the influence of Arthur Rackham and the pre-Raphaelites in the work (I love them too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Arthur Rackham was my first artistic love. When I was eleven or twelve my mom gave me several volumes of Rackham illustrated fairy tales. I love the pre-Raphaelites, too. Waterhouse's The Lady of Shallot hangs in our dining room. :)

      Delete
  2. I loved the look and feel of Labyrinth!

    I feel like they also influenced the look and feel of Dagobah in the Empire Strikes Back. It looks a little like that swamp in Labyrinth, too.

    Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dagobah really is quite reminiscent of Labyrinth. Aaaand now I want to watch movies instead of going to bed - lol.

      Delete
  3. Stunning and magical creations, now I'm a fan. :)
    So cute that you lugged ALL of those books with you. The artist must have been extremely flattered at your devotion. I can see why, though. Absolutely my flavor of illustrious illustration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Karen, thank you for stopping by, and I'm so happy to share the art with you. :) He was so sweet about all the books - and especially delighted by all the old out of print ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them. Can never tire of viewing the beauty. Happy to meet you, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, they're so talented. They inspire me too.

    http://www.miaceleste.com/?p=213

    ReplyDelete