Pages

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Thursday's Children - Saying Screw It

Last week, I wasn't able to participate in the Thursday's Children blog hop because I was chin deep at the RT (Romantic Times) conference in Kansas City, MO.

It's a huge readers/writers conference that I attend every few years to visit friends, attend workshops, meet some of my favorite authors and of course, there are always chances to pitch books. They also have an amazing YA Track.

I'm also super excited because I got a chance to meet Tessa Gratton. I *love* her work. And bonus, she was absolutely gracious and wonderful.

Okay, thanks for sticking with me this far. I'm finally getting to the title portion of this post.

I figured since I was there, I'd pitch my YA to the attending editors. Only, when I read through the program, no one that I was interested in pitching to was looking for Paranormal YA. I was totally bummed. In fact, I shoved the program in my purse and headed to the restaurant for lunch.

But something happened while I was in the elevator. I realized I was being stupid. I had a chance to pitch to editors who work at houses I'd love to be a part of. I would be stupid not to take opportunity. while I had it So I said, screw it...or you know...something like that. Instead of getting off at the mezzanine level, I got off at the lobby and got in line for the huge pitch session.

I pitched to five editors and got three requests for the complete manuscript! I sent them all off Monday night, and now I'm trying not to obsess. Sometimes, saying screw it really pays off! So now, I'm inspired to take more chances. The worst anyone can say is no.

If you'd like to join the blog hop, here's the linkity info!


<!– start LinkyTools script –>
<script src=”http://www.linkytools.com/basic_linky_include.aspx?id=195647” type=”text/javascript”></script>
<!– end LinkyTools script –>
<!– start LinkyTools script –> <!– end LinkyTools script –>

22 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you said screw it!! Congratulations on the requests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on taking the risk, saying screw it, and for being rewarded with all the requests! This is my first visit to your blog, but I'm super excited for you. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanette! And thank you so much for visiting! I promise - I'll definitely keep everyone posted! :)

      Delete
  3. Go Chris, Go Chris!!!!! And, um, good luck with the "trying not to obsess" part...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rhiann!!! Thus far, I'm not doing so well with the trying not to obsess part! o.O

      Delete
  4. Good for you! One of my husband's favorite quotes is, "If you don't ask, the answer's always no." So you were smart to just go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that quote, Carla! Thank you for sharing it! :D And thanks!

      Delete
  5. That's fabulous! Congrats! And yes, you definitely have the right attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic news about the requests! Sometimes you've just got to be a little brave about these things - after all you had nothing to lose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually not great about being brave. But I'm definitely getting better. :) And thanks!

      Delete
  7. What a great attitude. Paranormal seems to go in and out of style, sometimes even under different names, so never say never, eh? Let us know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you! And woo-hoo on the requests! Keep us updated :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your "screw it" is Definitely inspiring! Good for YOU! I need to get better at 'screw it'
    Take those chances. I'm so glad you did.
    BTW, i recently read from a librarian, that while she was looking for more realistic/sports/contemporary/issues book for MG --her girls were still gobbling up paranormal YA --like big time. Those that read it--never stop. And they have BIG apetites. SO rock on! Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! Here's hoping this one will be one that they gobble up! :D

      Delete
  10. Wow, Chris. Congrats and good luck to you! I haven't been to a writers conference but it sounds very impressive and a good sign that so many were interested in the MS so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Alana! I hope it's a good sign! :)

      Delete